Monday, October 18, 2010

Hey, soul sister.

JLW New Member Class of 2010/2011 at Botanica.
I've finally found a way to recapture my youth. I'm spending a lot of time with more than 60 beautiful women. We're all being "initiated" into an organization that promotes good will, giving back and voluntarism. We work on fun projects together; some long term and some short. We're exploring needs in our own community and the organizations that exist to meet those needs. And feel a bit "rushed" to fulfill requirements. Through it all, we're bonding and developing new friendships with other strong, independent women – each with her own unique skills and abilities.

I'm not sure that the Junior League of Wichita veterans will appreciate my oh-so transparent comparison to a college sorority. But I didn't take the opportunity to join sorority life when I had it. At 18, I just didn't recognize the rewards that participation would bring. Now at 42, I have learned to truly enjoy the sisterhood I've found in the League.

A few Saturdays past, I pulled on jeans and a sweatshirt, grabbed work gloves and tools. And met my new friends at Botanica. We planted almost 1,500 pansies in the butterfly garden and felt a great sense of accomplishment in our labor. Later, we teamed up for an afternoon of adventure, delivering yearbooks to sustaining members throughout the metro. We explored new parts of our community and were inspired by meeting "retired" JLW members who paved the way for us.

The economy is bleak and much hardship exists for many in our community. But the people I've met through the nonprofit organizations we serve and the fellowship I've experienced has brought joy and happiness. When I start feeling a little discouraged, there is always an opportunity to give. Or a gathering to lift my spirits. There are so many more lessons to learn about giving back and discoveries to be made about my community. Although the best discovery is the reward I've already found: serving in fellowship with like-minded women. My own sorority. My own sisterhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment